Chapter 23: The Blessings of the Holy Temple
- Temples are expressions of our testimony, and they represent the ultimate in our worship.
- Through temple ordianances, we receive the crowning blessings of the gospel.
- The temple is a sanctuary of service where we receive saving ordinances in behalf of those who have died without receiving the gospel.
- Great blessing await us as we keep ourselves worthy and go to the temple frequently.
- Has anyone ever visited a smaller temple? What was the experience like? (introduction)
- Was there any other prophets that made the temple a focus of their ministry? (introduction)
- What personal habits do you have related to temple worship that help you “trifle not with sacred things”? (section 1)
- What role do priesthood keys play in what happens inside of a temple? Who holds those keys? (section 2)
- What inspiring stories have you read about from your family history related to the blessings of the temple? (section 2)
- What process do you go through in order to connect with the individual on the name card you receive at the temple? (section 3)
- What role did the temple play in your life as a youth? How do you help today’s youth experience the temple? (section 3)
- How would you encourage a new-temple-goer to use the Celestial room in the temple? (section 4)
Temple on a Cruise Ship
To help introduce the class to the topic of getting temple blessings to as many members as possible, it might be interesting to start the class telling the story of one way the Church considered bringing the temple to members across the world. In 1967 it was purposed to President McKay to create a temple boat that would take the blessings of the temple around the world. See HERE for the full details of the story.
Maybe ask the class how current modern technology can help take the temple blessings around the world. Maybe virtual reality will play a role in future temple work.
What Happens to my Loved Ones That are Not Sealed to Me?
Temple blessing should never make someone sad even if loved ones have made different life choices that disqualify them for the blessings of the temple. Many members of the Church assume that because their son or daughter has been unfaithful to the commandments of the Church or left the Church all together that they will not “be” with them in heaven.
It might be beneficial to share with the class to share with them a quote from the August 2016 Ensign:
President Eyring said:
A prophet of God once offered me counsel that gives me peace. I was worried that the choices of others might make it impossible for our family to be together forever. He said, “You are worrying about the wrong problem. You just live worthy of the celestial kingdom, and the family arrangements will be more wonderful than you can imagine.”